Monday, May 11, 2009

Behmor Update

These last two weeks of tooling around with the Behmor 1600 have sure been fun as well as educational. I learned that when they say that the Behmor really does not have the capability to go real dark, they actually mean it.  I am still currently having trouble getting my roast up to full city plus and have ended up with a number of batches that are way too light for my taste. 

I ave also learned that not all profiles work well. I tried roasting some Indonesian Flores Organic Manggar on the P2 setting and got some real patchy looking roasted bean. Sure, this might be the beans themselves (I guess I will find out when I roast the remainder on another setting) but I have a feeling that P2  was responsible. 

Not that other profiles have been working out for me...

 I already bitched about what I did to my precious Tanzanian Blackburn Estate that I screwed up on P3 and the  Rwandaian Gkongoro  also turned out less satisfactory then I expected. Pretty much the only batch that came out good was some El Salvador Siberian Estate which I roasted on P3 for  a touch over 15 minutes. This stuff turned out pretty decent, although its taste evaporated quickly over the next week. Oh yeah, the and the Columbia Huila one star also came out pretty good, but that was a fluke. 

Oh well, I guess I got some more experimenting to do before I try to go to the big leagues. 

No comments: